(every year, notes are updated and revised to reflect new ideas brought to A&O from the literature and by students)
These notes document the way in which past seminars of A&O have unfolded / blossomed and indicate intended directions for 2020 Notes from 2018 and 2019 provide only a rough guide as to what to expect in 2020 because they reflect the specific interests of the participants in previous years.
The disciplinary core of the course remains the same: the spiral helix of “DEEP ETHOLOGY” (the integrative study of behavior) and “CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF ART and AESTHETIC EXPERIENCE”
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 14( DEEP ETHOLOGY, CONNECTIONS, Words)
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 21 (EXISTENTIAL PHENOMENOLOGY, congenital and acquired BIASES: how WEIRD we are, Meaning and the Body)
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 28, 2019 (REVIEW of Jan 22; CHANGE as “disintegration and renewal;” INDIVIDUATION & SOCIALIZATION as a DYNAMIC BALANCE)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 4 (NEEDS and ADAPTATION)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 11 (TIME. PHYSIOLOGY, NEEDS to STRESS)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 18 (steering into PHYSIOLOGY; embodied cognition; evolution and physiology combined in RITUALIZATION)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 25 (hallucinations & perceptions; YOUR art subjected to DEEP analysis; fragments are all we know: interpolation, extrapolation, ecphory, redintegration cognitive attractors)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 53 (assignments in art applied to social/cultural issues; more on two hemispheres; social & general forms of intelligence)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 17 (Art & Artifact; paleolithic art with Dr Jan Simek)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 24 (Checking in & Project discussion) then Post on Loneliness and Longing.
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 31 (no link): SYMPOSIUM (off campus, place TBA) to share a PowerPoint (est 10-12 minutes) or performance with your classmates. This is an exploration of your semester project; Each of you will (privately) review each other to help you flesh out / fill in gaps, indicate possible new connections. Each presentation should include (or strongly imply) possible connections to DEEP ethology.
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 7 ( comments about PRESENTATION; specific attributes of “ART” – and their representation in various species (we among them) also Visit TRUTH & LOVE post and TRUTH & BEAUTY page … as you read, note the connections to biological needs and cognitive processes.)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 14 Extended check-in & check-out ; in your own creative thinking, where must you exercise the epoche (bracketing)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 21, OFF-CAMPUS (begin at 5:30) details TBA — Checking in and out .
Please have your final Powerpoint presentation to me as soon as possible before the second day of exams (May 1), and your written report before Monday May 6.