These notes document the way in which past seminars of A&O have unfolded / blossomed and indicate intended directions for 2019. Notes from 2018 provide only a rough guide as to what to expect in 2019 because they reflect the specific interests of the participants in previous years. The disciplinary core of the course remains the same: the spiral helix of “DEEP ETHOLOGY” (the integrative study of behavior) and “CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF ART and AESTHETIC EXPERIENCE”
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 15(DEEP ETHOLOGY, CONNECTIONS, Words)
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 22((EXISTENTIAL PHENOMENOLOGY, congenital and acquired BIASES: how WEIRD we are, Meaning and the Body)
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 29, 2019 (REVIEW of Jan 22; CHANGE as “disintegration and renewal;” INDIVIDUATION & SOCIALIZATION as a DYNAMIC BALANCE)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 5 (NEEDS and ADAPTATION)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 12 (TIME. PHYSIOLOGY, NEEDS to STRESS)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 19 (steering into PHYSIOLOGY; embodied cognition; evolution and physiology combined in RITUALIZATION)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 26 (hallucinations & perceptions; YOUR art subjected to DEEP analysis; fragments are all we know: interpolation, extrapolation, ecphory, redintegration cognitive attractors)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 5 (assignments in art applied to social/cultural issues; more on two hemispheres; social & general forms of intelligence)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 12 (Art & Artifact; paleolithic art with Dr Jan Simek)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 26 (Checking in & Project discussion) then Post on Loneliness and Longing.
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 2 (no link): SYMPOSIUM (at Lauren’s house (details in class and e-mail), to share a PowerPoint (est 10-12 minutes) or performance with your classmates. This is an exploration of your semester project; Each of you will (privately) review each other to help you flesh out / fill in gaps, indicate possible new connections. Each presentation should include (or strongly imply) possible connections to DEEP ethology.
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 9 ( comments about PRESENTATION; specific attributes of “ART” – and their representation in various species (we among them) also Visit TRUTH & LOVE post and TRUTH & BEAUTY page … as you read, note the connections to biological needs and cognitive processes.)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 16 Extended check-in & check-out ; in your own creative thinking, where must you exercise the epoche (bracketing)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 30, OFF-CAMPUS (begin at 5:30) details TBA — Checking in and out .
Please have your final Powerpoint presentation to me as soon as possible before the second day of exams (May 1), and your written report before Monday May 6.
Classes End Friday, April 26
Study Day Monday, April 29
Exams Tuesday – Tuesday, April 30, May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7
University College Commencement Ceremonies, Thursday – Saturday, May 9, 10, 11