(every year, notes are updated and revised to reflect new ideas brought to A&O from the literature and by students)
These notes document the way in which past seminars of A&O have unfolded / blossomed and indicate intended directions for 2020 Notes from 2018 and 2019 provide only a rough guide as to what to expect in 2020 because they reflect the specific interests of the participants in previous years.
The disciplinary core of the course remains the same: the spiral helix of “DEEP ETHOLOGY” (the integrative study of behavior) and “CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF ART and AESTHETIC EXPERIENCE”
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 14, 2020( DEEP ETHOLOGY, CONNECTIONS, words, eye-contact)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–January 21, 2020 (Anchors for ART and DEEP ETHOLOGY) (EXISTENTIAL PHENOMENOLOGY, congenital and acquired BIASES)
- A&O CLASS NOTES—January 28, 2020 (REVIEW of Jan 21; CHANGE as “disintegration and renewal;” INDIVIDUATION & SOCIALIZATION as a DYNAMIC BALANCE)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 4, 2020 (NEEDS and ADAPTATION)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 11, 2020 (ABOUT STIMULI and their CONNECTIONS (is there a dark side?) TIME. PHYSIOLOGY, NEEDS to STRESS)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 18, 2020 (cerebral laterality; sticking with PERCEPTS & some PHYSIOLOGY; embodied cognition; evolution and physiology combined in RITUALIZATION)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–February 25, 2020 (evolutionary aspects of signals; YOUR art subjected to DEEP analysis; fragments are all we know: interpolation, extrapolation, ecphory, redintegration cognitive attractors)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 3, 2020 (more on two hemispheres; sentience/sapience/ organizing concepts to speak to aesthetics of rationality (a contradiction in terms?)
- A&O CLASS–March 10, 2020 (No CLASS MEETING) (Greenberg at research retreat) work on projects
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 17,2020 NO CLASS (SPRING BREAK)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 24, 2020 Connect remote sites by ZOOM: (Checking in & Project discussion) then later, read Post on Loneliness and Longing.
- in your own creative thinking, where must you exercise the epoche (bracketing) (Prepare with reading specific attributes of “ART” – and their representation in various species (we among them) also Visit TRUTH & LOVE post and TRUTH & BEAUTY page … as you read, note the connections to biological needs and cognitive processes.)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–March 31, 2020 (Connect by ZOOM) WE WILL DISCUSS PowerPoint pointers and embracing critical generalities while positioning yourself for more deeply focused topic.
- ROOTS and FRUITS: Have you touched all the bases to root your paper in scholarship or empirical evidence before going off into specifics and personal stories (yours or those of other people)
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 7 (Connect by ZOOM) YOUR POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS (est 10-12 minutes) or performance shared with your classmates. This is an exploration of your semester project;
- Each of you will (privately) review each other to help you flesh out / fill in gaps, indicate possible new connections. (e-mail list shared by e-mail) Each presentation should include (or strongly imply) possible connections to DEEP ethology.
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 14 (Connect by ZOOM)
- RELATIVE to YOUR presentation, what can YOUR experience or the experiences you are attempting to present and discuss say about States of Mind–how we FEEL and how that affects the MEANING of what we’re talking about? (encountering this point again may remind you of how the mind and body are integrated (in “embodied cognition“) and the distinction between sentience and sapience.
- Describing other people, “what in the world must they have been thinking when they did that?! Even paleolithic cave artists, or Neanderthals interring loved ones with flower petals (or red ochre, or their pets) (this could be called “Paleopsychology.”)
- Feedback and fine-tuning session for presentations, then final instructions for paper OUTLINE of MAIN POINTS for paper. See notes on TEACHING PHILOSOPHY in practice for clues about how the points of view in this class aspire to enabling creativity.
- A&O CLASS NOTES–APRIL 21 – facis de necessitate virtutem : PRESENTATIONS; Checking in and out .
Please have your final Powerpoint presentation to me as soon as possible
CHANGE: Written reports target date = May 1, DEADLINE May 4.