ART & ORGANISM 2020
.I like mottos, they crystalize ideas, and those in Latin or Greek have a dignity and weight that holds your attention—as though it was a conservative part of your cultural DNA. So…
facis de necessitate virtutem
(“you make a virtue of necessity”)
closely related to
Mater artium necessitas
(“The mother of invention is necessity”)
(Connect remote sites by ZOOM – instructions (the ZOOM URL) to come in e-mail the day of class)
CHECK-IN: be prepared to comment on
- how you are coping with the added factor of the pandemic … how are you doing? Any experiences to share? Joys? Concerns?
MAKE YOUR PRESENTATION
THEN Check-out a couple of questions after presentations are complete –these may help with final paper:
- How/Why is “being on the edge (of your ability) evoke your best form” (directly connected to the mottos in the epigraph) (CONNECT to a key point about the continuum from subclinical to pathological stress: mild stress can ENERGIZE, intense stress can PARALYZE)
- How/Why do “afterthoughts” — ideas that pop up after a conversation (or presentation) ends
I will contact you after presentations
- THEN CONTACT ME at any time about preparation of your paper — Beyond the main points developed in class for DEEP ETHOLOGY and ART, you have great artistic freedom in expressing yourself.
- For example, you may choose to display your art or that of others as a complement the verbal narrative in your paper; doodles welcome;
- be sure to comment on your feelings about the ROOTS of your paper and its potential FRUIT.
- More about the Main points are at: OUTLINE of MAIN POINTS for paper
IF YOU HAVE any adjustments to your Powerpoint presentation, have the final version to me as soon as possible
- Follow-up on “The Tangled Bank” (Darwin)
REPRESENTING ART IN YOUR PAPER: how to include CREATION and/or APPRECIATION of what ART can contribute to insight about about your topic. RELATED to that is what PERSONAL experiences energize or contribute to your paper.